Kim and Bob Hughes

Kim and Bob Hughes
As The World Turns Finale - or is it a new beginning?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Snyders

Lily and Holden

After the Hughes, Lowell, Stewart, Montgomery and Stenbeck families in Oakdale became part of my life for over 20 years, the introduction of the Snyder family in 1985 seemed, at first, to be a bit of an intrusion into the comfort of the upper middle class suburbia that was portrayed on As The World Turns. Would the young, rugged stable boy, Holden Snyder be able to impress the somewhat snobbish Lily Walsh enough to introduce his 'country' family (who lived on a farm near Milltown) to the other Oakdale residents. When Lily Walsh met Holden Snyder in October 1985, something happened. Two young souls were drawn to one another and instantly became a teenaged supercouple. I was immediately drawn into a storyline that showed societal class attitudes and differences, and yet a chemistry that was undeniable and sometimes sweet and often 'hot'. This chemistry would last for twenty five years.


cutting the hubbard squash

The first time I saw the Snyder kitchen, I was struck with the feeling of 'home' and coziness. I was used to the warmth of the Hughes kitchen of the 1960's, but I longed for Nancy and Chris and I was pleaantly surprised when I got the feeling of a Mama who would protect her children with a mother-earth type of personality that was middle-America farm people. It was heart warming and real. A FAMILY. I loved the large harvest table, the old fridge and of course, the front porch. I also loved the wooden door leading up through the kitchen to the bedrooms. It was HOME.


Lily meets Holden :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoMs_eOuQk&feature=related



I love this video because it shows how Douglas Marland was able to let teenagers Martha Byrne, Jon Hensley and Brian Bloom shine in a storyline that would continue and mature.


Martha Byrne and Jon Hensley

Kathleen Widdoes
 Emma as the matriarch of the Snyder clan is strong, fair and empathetic as mother, grandmother and friend. But there is also no messing with this lady.

A good friend of mine once said that he didn't like the Snyders because he found them annoying. Ha, ha. I totally disagree. As much as I grew up with the Hughes and Stewart families, I have more of an affinity for the wholesomeness and honesty of a family often in trouble and in turmoil, but willing to support each other and welcome 'strays' with open arms.

Thanksgiving and Christmas at the Snyder farm became a warm, loving old-fashioned place to be in a high-tech world.

There was always a neighbourly feeling - "Come, sit and stay awhile. Have another piece of pie, while we talk about the horses and the latest news from the Iva and Seth. Oh, and if your car has broken down and you have no place to stay, we have an extra bedroom that you are more than welcome to use overnight or 'forever'."


And of course, if you are a family member or just an acquaintance, you were always welcomed - just peak through the country curtains in the kitchen window and say hello. "By the way, can you watch the grandkids for an hour while I go out into the barn to check on the horses? Later on, maybe you can wander down to the pond and have a picnic. Lucinda said she might drop by for a little while to help plan a surprise anniversary party for Lily and Holden. Did you know that they got married again? - too bad they got 'hitched' in Las Vegas last year and not in the barn. Would you like to come? Great, but since it's potluck, could you help with the potato salad? Another piece of pie and some milk?"

But, I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see Emma taking a break from her daily routine to watch the Guiding Light.


Lily learns she was adopted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBhN22Wnuk&feature=related


Another baby - congratulations - both Grandmas look so happy.


William Fitchner and Jennifer Ashe

Teenaged Meg comes home and Holden and Lily get closer in a storm.


Very touching video from 2001 which shows what family is all about. I loved the look on both Emma and Lucinda's faces when they see their children again.


Lily & Holden


The Bell Tower

 

5 comments:

  1. Would someone please tell me who Holden is holding a gun on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Lucinda face when she realized who was standing at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Thank you* soooo much!! The Snyders are my favourite families I didn't begin watching ATWT until around the time of Lily & Holden.. and quickly became very much in love with the Snyder family. I echo your sentiments about the Snyders being a family, celebrating family holidays, traditions in our tech world of today. Even to the end (which I'm still in denial), no matter the chaos of family problems they had, the Snyders were a family whose kitchen you could pull a chair up at the table, grab a few of Emma's famous cookies, maybe a glass of Elderberry wine.... oh how I miss the annual Hubbard squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I alwasy used to dream I would sit in Emma's kitchen, have a cup of coffee with a piece of homemade pie while she and I would talk about family matters.

    ReplyDelete